31.5.10

Please excuse me, but I must oblige.


I love the advances women have made in society.  For the most part, discrimination is extinct, at least by law.  I often find myself proud of how much I have accomplished in comparison to the women in my family.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I am not putting down what they accomplished at all, but what I have achieved so far would not have been possible for some of my relatives or without the help of those relatives.  I am pursuing a career in a very male dominated industry.  The job is often quite physically demanding.  However, I do not fear the possibility of success due to my gender.

Speaking of physically tough times, I just watched the Lonesome Dove mini-series.  Wow.  Now, I understand that they are fictional characters but I must insist that they are based somewhere in truth.  If that book had been written about stock brokers, or some other profession, it would be a lot harder to believe.  I apologize for bringing up cowboys once again, but I really cannot set aside the chivalry and moral stubbornness they possess.  What man wouldn't want to be Augustus McCrae?  And what woman wouldn't want to be Clara Allen?  Clip from the series.

I may be tough, but it is just darn polite to lend a hand.  I was struggling with some large equipment through the rain and subways.  Three men offered to help me, two of which were actually near my age and quite handsome (a rarity).  I don't expect men my age to be quite so polite.  Now if only this chivalry would extend past a simple few seconds of carrying a large board.

Now, I've come across this bizarre phenomenon.  Women, especially those in metropolitan areas, want to prove they are capable of taking care of themselves.  I understand that completely.  But the dating arena is very different than the professional.  This is where I get quite old fashioned.  I can have a career and support myself, but it isn't a big deal for the gentleman to pay for dinner once in a while.  Why is it such a crime to do so?  Who decided a person could not take care of themselves just because they were treated to dinner?  Just because someone opens a door for me doesn't mean I cannot do it myself.  There is a line when this may be implied though.  I have encountered men who are insistent on being overly caring for women.  You know where?  Not in America!  This was in places where women are still second class in some ways.  This "chivalry" definitely crosses the line into oppression.  However, Americans need not fear this.  Any men really should not worry about offending women by offering to pay for dinner or opening a door.  I really hate how this has taken over much of the dating world in metro areas.  I don't know how many women agree with me, but my diverse group of friends seems to.

So man up and embrace tradition.  It became tradition for a reason.

Chivalry does not have to be a myth.
*Chivalry by Frank Dicksee

Now, for something funny about this situation.  Watch this.

Prescription:  Just think about how you would want to be treated if you were the opposite gender.

No comments:

Post a Comment